National Honor Society
Keep Up to Date!
NHS activities are updated on a Google Calendar that is shared with all members. It is embedded below. In addition, connect with NHS through Twitter at @lhs_honor . The Instagram account is @lhshonorsociety. Tweets are sent out to remind members of events and to announce new events.
Initial Membership in the National Honor Society is determined by the following criteria:
- Juniors and Seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.75 are invited to apply for National Honor Society. (*2018 Fall Applicants will be grandfathered in for one year with a minimum 3.5 GPA).
- Students must complete an application demonstrating their abilities in all four of the core NHS values: scholarship, leadership, service, and character.
- Students must maintain verified signatures and fully complete and submit their applications on time.
- The information provided will be used by the Faculty Council in the selection process. If clarification or further information is needed, the Faculty Council may interview students. Completion of the application does not guarantee selection.
The following is a timeline of events for induction and participation in the National Honor Society:
- In September, juniors and seniors receive an invitation to apply to NHS with a letter delivered at school.
- In September, applications are due to the NHS sponsor who checks and verifies the information on each application.
- In October, students are informed via letter delivered at school of their acceptance or rejection into the National Honor Society.
- In late October or early November, the induction ceremony takes place and students are officially welcomed into the National Honor Society.
Continued Membership in the National Honor Society requires the following:
- Maintain a required 3.5 GPA
- Earn 40 hours of approved community service in NHS sponsored community service
- Attend monthly meetings
- Demonstrate the same level of conduct required for admission
- Pay the $10 yearly dues
Attendance Policy for Meetings:
- A maximum of 2 monthly meetings can be missed during the academic year, regardless if excused or not excused.
- Induction Ceremony must be attended by all members and inductees.
- Any attendance issues will be addressed by sponsor(s), and appeals can be made as necessary.
Katherine Vlamis - President
Dylan Johnson - VP of Service Opportunities
Abigail Maloney - VP of Attendance
Ellie Magera - VP of Events
Grace Johannes - VP of Hours
Kelsey Pierce - VP of Communications
NHS SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES FOR IN-CLUB HOURS
- Snow Squad
- Kid-Zone on Winter Break
- Martha Lafite Fairy Tale Forest
- NHS at Homecoming Carnival
- NHS at Safe Halloween
- Dogs by Debin
- Cedar's Nursing Home
- Day at Harvester's